Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Blog 12, What if?

What if day and night were reversed? What I mean is, what if the majority of people were awake during the night and slept during the day? I think things would be very interesting, and some of our physical features would likely be different.
I think the eyes would probably be the biggest difference. If humans had evolved to be nocturnal, out eyes would probably be much bigger to take in more light. This would help us be able to function the same at night as we do during the day now. Our eyes would have probably evolved to the point where we would be able to see as well as any nocturnal animal. On the other hand, our eyes would be of very little use during the day. Similar to how we must use lights at night, we would probably have to wear veils over our eyes so that the sun wouldn’t blind us.
Another thing that would probably be different is our skin. Since we wouldn’t be in the sun as often, it would probably be much lighter. On the other hand, the dark skin trait might have still occurred due to it being able to blend into the night. I can’t really say which would be dominant, but it would be one way or the other. It could even be a combination of both.
Of course, none of this really matters, because it didn’t happen, but I think it is still a cool concept. I like to think about alternate realities and stuff like this. We may have even had a nocturnal ancestor at some point, but he didn’t make it to the current day. Either way, I really like this idea!

1 comment:

  1. This is interesting. Our eyes would be huge and bug-eyed! We would definitely be strange looking in my opinion. I think that I would be blind. I have horrible eyesight and I think that my condition would only worsen.

    ReplyDelete