Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Blog 10, What if?

What if scientists had greater control over the traits plants exhibit(continued)? As I began to say in Blog 9, Since Marijuana was made illegal, it was bred on the streets. The street breeders have made it more dangerous by upsetting the balance of THC to CBD.
This has lead to many other scientist researching other, more balanced specimens of marijuana. They want to determine if a more balanced plant is less dangerous. The general idea is that the THC-CBD balanced pot will not have the psychosis inducing effects of the street stuff. If this is true, one of the biggest arguments against the decriminalization of marijuana will be thrown out the window.
This discovery very well could progress marijuana towards decimalization in the United States. While I don’t feel very strongly in either direction about it, I know people who share both views. As a teenager, I probably don’t have to tell you that I know people who smoke it, and I probably also don’t have to tell you how they feel about it. On the other hand, I know people who are completely against marijuana use. My dad is a good example of this. He has always held the common view that marijuana is a ‘gateway drug.’ This term means that it makes a user more likely to experiment with other, heavier drugs, such as cocaine, heroine, and methamphetamine. While I don’t know the scientific data behind it, from my personal observations, this may not be true. Most of the people that I have seen smoke pot don’t do anything. Also, please notice that the article I read didn’t address this issue, but I thought that my personal opinion and incite was worth including. (Continued in Blog 11).

No comments:

Post a Comment